I was in the mood to bake last week, I really wanted to do a chocolate cake. So I googled chocolate victoria sponge and found this recipe.
150g caster sugar
150g butter, softened
110g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
3 medium eggs
165g icing sugar
35g cocoa powder
100g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan assister/gas mark 6.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar, I always find using a wooden spoon much easier for this.
3. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder.
4. Add the eggs and mix together until combined.
I lined the bottom of my tins, with baking paper (you don't have to do this I just find it easier to get out)
5. Separate the mixture between the two tins, and bake for up to 15 minutes. I did mine for about 11, but every oven is different so keep an eye on them. You can test they're done by sticking in a knife, if it come's out clean then they're cooked.
6. Place on a cooling rack and cool completely.
7. For the icing add all the ingredients into a bowl and cream together. I also sifted the cocoa powder. Again I used a wooden spoon for this. The water is optional, I added a little at the end to make the icing a bit smoother and softer.
8. Sandwich the two sponges together with some of the icing, and then spread the rest on the top (and sides if you have enough). I also added some mini eggs as decoration.